Saturday, March 3, 2007

The Writer's Touch

This past fall, Graham started writing. (Well, to be honest, I was going to as well until I realized how much better he was than me.) Anyway, he took a few classes and tapped into his creative side with the written word. I really enjoyed reading his musings. Here's a sample for you to enjoy!! (Completely fictional, based off of a newspaper heading.)

Can you hear me now?

Controversy is brewing in a Connecticut high school as Principal Saunders continues his policy of confiscating cell phones from students who use them during lessons.
Not surprisingly the policy has sparked a strong reaction. One teacher told me he is in favor of the policy. “All day long it’s one ring tone after another”, he commented. “If I have to hear Golddigger by Kanye West one more time I’ll go crazy”, he added. Other teachers noted that the popularity of instant messaging has caused grammar and spelling standards to tumble. “I constantly have to tell my students to spell the ‘long way’. What’s so hard about spelling the word ‘great’ without an 8? It’s only got five letters!” asks one history teacher.
Parents are divided on the issue. David Johnson, whose daughter is a senior, agrees with the decision. However, parent Sharon Mills disagrees wondering how long her daughter will have to go without her phone. “I paid a lot of money so she could have a phone. Principal Saunders must think that cell phones grow on trees but I had to get mine at Radio Shack.”
The greatest outcry has been from the students themselves. One wondered how she’d keep track of all of her friends if her phone was confiscated. “I normally call my friends ten times a day to find out where they are and why they haven’t called me”, said Jane Simpson between calls. Fellow students agreed and said they would find more creative ways to fight back. No further details were forthcoming.
Principal Saunders was unavailable for comment however his secretary was willing to speak on his behalf. She was quick to refute the allegation that the principal was selling the phones on e-bay to raise money for school supplies. “He doesn’t see the point of cell phones”, she said. “He hates using any kind of phone and is a firm believer in Post-it notes. I am constantly delivering notes all over the school”.
It seems this breakdown in communication will be hard for even the best network to fix.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.